They are easy and tasty. This is how its done.
This roll out cookie recipe has been around for years. We have used it many times and it always works great. The dough does not have to be refrigerated.
Roll Out Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups granular sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, then add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Divide dough in half (This makes it easier to roll and cut cookies)
- On floured surface, roll ball approximately 1/4" thick. (Some people per fur to roll the dough into 1/4" thickness. This will make the cookie more crunchy)
- Cut out cookies, place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 11 min. (We line our cookie sheets with parchment paper to bake our cookie on)
- Makes approx 3 dozen cookies 3" diameter.
- Recipe may be doubled.
- Cookie recipe (Above)
- Bake cookies and let cool completely.
- Smooth white icing on entire cookie.
- Let dry for 3 to 4 hours. The thicker the icing on the cookie, the longer it takes to dry.
- Use edible markers to draw on cookies.
NOTE: We suggested the Americolor pens because they will work on icing, chocolate, cheese and a lot of other food items. Wilton brand has sets that work on icing and different sets to work on chocolate. (We do carry both)
This is a great project for kids to show off their creativity!